“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
― Mark Twain
As you may know, I’ve been reading a lot lately (non-fiction). Thanks to some TEDx talk that made me want to read (especially this one). It’s the most useful thing that happened to me for the last couple years. Now if you’re reading this post, it’s a good sign. You may be a confirmed reader or maybe you want to convince a friend to read but whatever your motivation is, this post if for you. I’ve for a long time neglected books but when you read your first book, you discover all the value it brings you, and you can’t stop reading anymore.
Some reasons to read
- Reading will expand your mind. What I mean is that when you don’t read, and all you do is going to college and watch tv you’re more likely to be ignorant of the reality of the world, you’re not aware. When you read biographies, you understand the past of someone, the mistakes he made, and it helps you to avoid doing the same. It improves your vision of life; you see things differently.
- It Improves your knowledge. Some people workout to be healthy or get a six pack but they don’t work out their brain. It’s essential that you have a healthy mind in a healthy body. On one hand, reading helps improve the mind and memory and on the other, books provide you knowledge, depending on what books you read you may learn finance, marketing or psychology. Usually, people put a deadline on studies; they stop studying once they graduate; their ego tells them that they know enough about this world to succeed. The truth is that we should never stop being a student; that’s why Frank Shamrock said, “Always stay a student.” Knowledge has no limit and as Socrates said ‘The only thing I know is that I know nothing.”
- Learn from the greatest mind. If you think you’re the first one to have encountered one problem you’re wrong, people have been living before us, and we can learn from their mistakes. Everything has been recorded in books, you have access to the greatest mind of history, don’t miss this opportunity to learn from past civilisation and avoid making the same mistakes.
- Reading forms your personality. The kind of books we read make us what we are. As Jim Rohn said, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” I find this one to be true for the books as well. You’re the average of the kind of books you read. Books are your best friend; you find yourself in books, you change and improve yourself through books.
- It makes you interesting. Since you’re reading, you have a lot to say; you’ll be more attractive, this way you’ll meet new people and make friends. You’ll eventually meet smarter people; you’ll create your network, and we all know that network is one of the causes of success.
Aim for a book a day
Five is approximately the number of books an adult in the United States read in one year. I want to reach one book a day; I’m currently reading a book every two weeks. Sometimes I reach one book a week. If you aim for one book a day, you should start gradually, start reading one book a month then one book a week to finally reach a book a day.
Reading is like working out; it demands discipline. If you want to come to a book a day or even a book a week, you have to read every day, even just for 10-15 minutes. You’ll get better by practicing. 21 days is what it takes to create a habit; so you know what you have to do now.
Don’t be ignorant
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
Books are your greatest weapon, once you have that knowledge, no one can ever fool you. You’re not ignorant anymore. Knowledge is the only valuable thing no one can steal you, with your knowledge you can build an empire and change the world, that’s how great education is. Be hungry for knowledge.
Finally, there are no reasons not to read. What? You don’t like to read? Get the audiobook and listen to it while you’re driving, walking, or traveling. Maybe you don’t have a lot of money, buy used books, you’ll find a lot of stores and online stores selling these for no more than 2-3$. You can even go to the library and borrow a book for free. You have no excuses; oh maybe you don’t have time to read? That’s another excuse; everybody has got enough time, you create time, you’ve got 24hours as everyone else. If you finally decide not to read, it means that you’re happy where you are, and you don’t want to improve your life, you’re the one losing value. Don’t fool yourself and read some books.